James Kennard experience with Joomla! 1.5 development enables him to share his insights effectively, in a clear and friendly way, giving practical hands-on solutions to problems, questions, and common tasks encountered in the design and implementation of Joomla! 1.5 extensions.
Kennard's cookbook is an excellent resource for novices and experts alike. I did start reading it and really appreciate the way the information are presented. While I develop for Joomla! since many years, I was surprised by the number of things that I was not using in all my projects. It is not for beginners, but those who have worked a little with Joomla! will learn a lot on its internals. Beginer
This book has helped me be a better developer, let me explain how:
- Examples are easy to understand, and really found in 80% of components, plugins and modules.
- I did discover a lot of existing API code, that did reduce my overall coding effort and code size by 30%
- I did add quickly new functionalities like RSS frontend, better paging presentation of data in no time. In fact, a lot faster than without having been not helped by this book.
- Starting at chapter 3, the book contains some tips about how to deals with the Requests and Users and how to keep Joomla secure through those practices.
My only regret, is how fast I went to this interesting book, even if it weight 360 pages, It was such a pleasure that I wish the book was even bigger! You can expect some direct results soon in my next components releases.
360 pages that cover the following topics:
- Make your extensions extensible, add extensions points to allow third parties to customize your extension
- Create international extensions by enabling multilingual capabilities, solving some UTF8 pitfalls.
- Improve the user experience by adding Ajax
- Work with the file system, interrogate existing files and folders and store data in the file system
- Create Atom and RSS feeds to keep users up-to-date
- Build more than just HTML pages - create PDF documents, Atom Feeds, and more!
- Utilize the power of Subversion to maintain your source code
- Dynamically extend your database tables using JParameter to make your extensions more flexible
- Execute database queries and handle returned data in order to access and modify your data
- Handling errors
- Take control of your workflows by using JoomlaCode.org to manage your Joomla! projects
This book is published and sold by Packt Publishing. A donation is made to the Joomla! project with every copy sold as per the Packt Publishing Open Source Project Royalties scheme.
Where to buy
Go visit the Packt Shop now