Cédric Walter | Oct 8, 2020 | 0
Replace PGPdisk with a free OSS alternative
TrueCrypt: a Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003
- It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real disk.
- It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.
- Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
1) Hidden volume
2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (TrueCrypt volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
- Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5, Serpent (256-bit key), Triple DES, and Twofish (256-bit key). Supports cascading (e.g., AES-Twofish-Serpent).
- Based on Encryption for the Masses (E4M) 2.02a, which was conceived in 1997.
A linux client is in development….