Cédric Walter | May 23, 2020 | 0
Quick review of SuSE 10.0
Suse 10 linux I’ve done right now the migration to Suse linux 10 on 2 computer
Novell has killed the SUSE pro version and now offer:
- A box version, for 59Ã¢âÂ¬
- An Eval version (identical content as the box version but without printed manual or support) this one can be download using http, ftp mirror or better bittorent.
- A 3rd version, which is open source only (understand without any commercial or closed source apps) can also be downloaded from www.opensuse.org
Note that all 3 versions above share the same source code base (open source kernel and extension developped at www.opensuse.org)
As usual, if You want to try for the first time a linux distribution, I recommend You to try the live DVD version (both 32 bits and 64 bits cpu version is available).
My experience with Update
- HP nx7000 has been migrated succesffuly from suse 9.3 to 10 without any pain (reboot ladtop with dvd inside and choose installation then update) Note that before updating I was forced to remove all major (and for me vital application): Videolan, mplayer, amule among others… The wireless and bluetooth card are working perfectly without any intervention (was not the case under 9.3 pro)
- My destop during update always hang after 54 minutes (during install of rpm mms (a winamp like) install) I was force to do a fresh install. I am convince it can not be a SUSE fault.
- a lot more polished in KDE control center (thanks to KDE 3.4.2)
- blazing fast during boot time, for sure 5 times faster with my setup (same hardware) – responsiveness desktop as ever, the NVIDIA driver installed after “online update” allow 3D acceleration right out the box
- Superkaramba has been integrated into KDE, it has never been so easy to locate new themes (so call desktop widget), thanks to an integrated search engine, install or administrate them.
- The “search box” in start menu is so great that I do not understand why microsoft has not done it before. this “search box” act like a search engine which allow You to queries the start menu with keywords. Example? searching a browser program by “internet”, or “browser” highlight matching entries
A detailled review will follow soon….
Links to reviews