Nazgul Evoque F5 V2 O3 GPS Bind & Fly ELRS using Radiomaster ZORRO 4 in 1 with Radiomaster Ranger Nano TX in 10 minutes
- DJI Goggles 2
- Nazgul Evoque F5D or F5X
- Express LRS
- Radiomaster ZORRO
- Edge TX configuration
- Nazgul Evoque F5D or F5X V2 O3 GPS ExpressLRS
- DJI goggles 2
- Software to install
- ExpressLRS Configurator installed https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLRS/releases
- Betaflight Configurator installed https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight-configurator/releases
- EdgeTX Companion installed https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx/releases
- Radiomaster ZORRO transmitter 4 in 1 multi protocol
- Radiomaster Ranger nano TX ELRS
- A small ventilator to keep the O3 cool while updating the receiver update
DJI Goggles 2
Don’t use them on the Nazgul without the FCC hack, I crash once 30m away because the signal was too low…
Nazgul Evoque F5D or F5X
What are the difference between FPV dead cat (F5D) and FPV X (F5X) frame?
“FPV dead cat” and “X” frame are two different configurations for quadcopter drone frames. These frame designs have distinct characteristics that can affect the drone’s performance, flight characteristics, and capabilities. Here are the main differences between the two:
FPV Dead Cat Frame
- Design: The “FPV Dead Cat” configuration is a variation of the traditional quadcopter design. It gets its name from the shape resembling a “dead cat” due to the front arms extending forward while the rear arms extend diagonally backward.
- Motor Placement: In a FPV Dead Cat frame, the front motors are positioned farther apart than the rear motors. This asymmetrical motor arrangement can help reduce the visibility of the propellers in the drone’s camera view, enhancing the quality of FPV (First-Person View) footage.
- Stability: The diagonal motor layout can contribute to improved stability and reduced vibrations, which can lead to smoother flight and better video quality.
FPV X Frame
- Design: The “X frame” configuration is one of the most common quadcopter designs. It features a symmetrical layout where all four arms extend outward in an “X” shape.
- Motor Placement: In an X frame, all four motors are evenly spaced and aligned. This symmetrical layout can provide balanced thrust distribution and predictable flight characteristics.
- Agility: X frames are known for their agility and responsiveness in flight. The balanced motor placement allows for quick changes in direction and maneuvers, making them popular for racing and acrobatics.
- Simplicity: X frames are often simpler in design and easier to build compared to more complex configurations like the FPV Dead Cat.
FLASH the transmitter TX with latest ELRS firmware
Featuring up to 1W output, F-1000Hz refresh rates and a high-efficiency cooling system, the Ranger Micro 2.4GHz ELRS Module represents the cutting edge in ELRS technology. Attach the module to a compatible radio (RadioMaster Zorro and more) to enjoy all that ELRS has to offer. The included T-shape antenna is designed for maximum signal coverage. An optional MOXON antenna is available for directional applications.
*Note: The Ranger Nano 2.4GHz ELRS Module fits Nano module bays, for JR style/Micro connectors, please consider the Ranger and the Ranger Micro modules.
Launch Express LRS Configurator, select latest release, for me the 3.3.0, and the target “”Radiomaster 2.4GHz” and the device ”Radiomaster Ranger 2.4GHz TX”
Connect the computer to the ”Radiomaster Ranger 2.4GHz TX” with a USB-C cable
Click the button “Download LUA Script” to save the elrsv3.lua file, it has to go in scripts/tools/ on the SD-CARD, see later step
Scroll down and enter a custom binding phrase, the more unique the better, it allow the sender to autobind, and allow more than one pilot to fly at the same time.
- The REGULATORY_DOMAIN_EU_CE_2400 has to be set, it limite power to 100mW but can be overridden later
- HOME_WIFLSSID and HOME WIFI PASSWORD are your WIFI network SSID and password, they are optional
Click “Flash” it will build an upload the latest firmware on your Radiomaster Ranger nano TX, it take 1-2 min to complete and reboot
Flash the receiver RX with latest ELRS firmware
There is 4 methods to update your receiver
- Inject the ELRS RX firmware as Betaflight Passthrough
- Update the ELRS RX firmware with WIFI (3 methods!)
I choose this one that work for me
Attention: Cool down your DJI O3 unit with the ventilator!
Attention: Don’t switch on the Radiomaster ZORRO, keep it Off!
Remove the propeller first and connect the main power
power on the drone and Wait 60s, the onboard RX receiver will create a new WIFI network with SSID “ExpressLRS RX” password: expresslrs DONT CONNECT TO IT NOW
Launch Express LRS Configurator, select latest release, for me the 3.3.0, and the target “iFlight 2.4 GHz” and the device ”iFlight 2.4 GHz RX”
- Select “Flashing Method” to “WIFI”
- Keep the SAME binding phrase as previously
Click the button “BUILD” and wait till completion (this require an internet connection so we don’t use the expressLRS network up to here)
When the build is completed, connect to the expressLRS network WIFI. Click now Flash and wait till completion
Connecting to the WIFI expressLRS network open a webpage to 10.0.0.1, You can see there that the latest firmware is installed, override some settings and update with a binary file.
“EdgeTX” is a community-driven open-source project that focuses on developing alternative firmware for radio control transmitters used in the hobby of remote-controlled (RC) models, such as drones, airplanes, helicopters, and more. The firmware is designed to replace the stock firmware that comes with many RC transmitters, offering additional features, customization options, and improvements based on the needs and preferences of the RC community.
EdgeTX is built upon the open-source project OpenTX, which is widely used in the RC hobby. OpenTX provides a flexible and powerful platform for programming and controlling RC transmitters. EdgeTX takes the foundation of OpenTX and builds upon it, adding new features, enhancements, and user interface improvements.
Why EdgeTX is better and recommended on your Radiomaster Zorro
- Customization: EdgeTX often offers more customization options than the stock firmware of RC transmitters. This allows users to tailor the transmitter’s behavior to their specific needs and preferences.
- New Features: EdgeTX developers may introduce new features that are not present in the original firmware, which can enhance the user experience and provide additional functionality.
- User Interface Improvements: EdgeTX might include improvements to the user interface, making it more intuitive and user-friendly for programming and controlling RC models.
- Bug Fixes and Updates: Like any software project, EdgeTX may include bug fixes and updates to address issues or vulnerabilities that might exist in the stock firmware.
- Community-Driven Development: EdgeTX is often developed by a community of hobbyists who are passionate about improving RC transmitter firmware. This community-driven approach allows for a wider range of ideas and contributions.
- Open Source: EdgeTX, like its predecessor OpenTX, is open-source software. This means that the source code is available to the public, enabling anyone to contribute to its development, review its code, and ensure transparency.
Launch EdgeTX companion
Create a new profile, using menu “Settings” – “Add profile” – select Radio Type = Radiomaster Zorro
I fly RC Helicopter so I do not switch off noheli, you need to activate lua scripts
Lua (pronounced “loo-uh”) is a lightweight, high-level programming language designed for embedded systems, scripting, and general-purpose programming. It’s often used as an extension or embedded scripting language in various applications and software frameworks. Lua is known for its simplicity, flexibility, and ease of integration.
You can now do a backup first by clicking “Read models and setting from radio” and saving on your disk the documents (.etx)
Define a folder for updates first
Click the Update button to refresh all version and follow on screen
Update the SDCARD to reflect the latest state of the EdgeTX firmware
Modes and switches
The GPS support Galileo, so activate it under configuration, this was not in the default of iFlight configuration.
The BNF (Bind and Fly)ELRS version come with a Betaflight preset, we just need to assign switches to some modes
with the above setup:
- SF switch and G button must be activated for the drone to ARM
- SC switch is the beeper or drone finder
- SB switch is the angle or manual mode
- SE activate the failsafe
GPS rescue mode
GPS Rescue is OFF by default to prevent from unwanted or unexpected drone behavior. Please carefully study the Betaflight Wiki on https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/ wiki/GPS-rescue-mode and setup an AUX switch for first tests in line of sight and safe environment!
Enable Expert Mode in the Betaflight Configurator to access the Failsafe tab and configure the GPS Rescue feature. Default setup needs at least 5 satellites before you’re able to arm, unless you adapt the settings. At this point in time, DJI digital FPV can’t display OSD messages (for example if GSP Rescue is not available). Analog FPV does!
Quote BF: “GPS Rescue Mode is intended to bring your quad back autonomously in case of an emergency such as loss of video or radio link. The only purpose of GPS Rescue is to bring the quad back into range so you can retake control as soon as possible. GPS Rescue IS NOT a full “Return To Home* (RTH) function.*
Fly in a straight line for at least 100 meters past your descent distance, make sure the home arrow is pointing at your direction to confirm correct GPS functionality. Manually activate GPS rescue mode and study it’s behaviour.
GPS performance (search speed and the amount of satellites found) greatly depends on the environment you’re in. Bad weather and obstructed areas will give you fewer satellites and a fewer accuracy that might not work reliably before take-off or even in-flight. Always make sure not to bring yourself or others in danger!
Recommended failsafe GPS setup
- 40 Angle
- 30 Initial altitude (meters)
- 20 Descent distance (meters)
- 30 Minimun distance to home(meters)
- 5.00 Ground speed(meters/second)
- 1100 Throttie minimum
- 1600 Throttle maximum
- 1275 Throttle hover
- 5.00 Ascend rate(meters/second)
- 1.00 Descend rate(meters/second)
- 8 Minimum satelites
DO NOT ACTIVATE: Allow arming without fix-WARNING: the GPS Rescue will not be available