I will show you how to repair a cracked or broken iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or iPod Touch screen yourself.
In brief, what you need to know
- The 3G and 3Gs screens are different! you can not mount an iPhone 4 screen on a 3G(s)
- There is NO 3rd party or lower quality screens, all 3rd party repair company just LIE.
- Different kit are available:
- LCD only for 12€ to repair a broken LCD screen only: the iPhone has an intact glass screen, however the image behind the glass screen is absent, broken or distorted.
- Glass + digitizer for 22€ This is for an iPhone 3G device with a broken glass screen or malfunctioning touch screen with the image (LCD Screen) behind the screen still intact.
- Glass + digitizer + LCD + button + speaker mounted for 42€ the most expensive but the easiest to replace
- Duration: 30, 15 or 2 minutes depending on the kit
I went for the most expensive Kit on ebay.fr, which allow you to replace the broken screen by removing 2 screws, an connecting 3 cables!
By the way I would NEVER send any phone to anyone, how do you think all these private pictures land on forums? removing the sim card is not enough, there are tools to fetch data even after the have been removed!
Glass + digitizer + LCD + button + speaker kit mounted with all required tools to perform the repair
Remove the 2 small Phillips screws located at the bottom of the iPhone
Using the suction cups, pull up the screen upper part while retaining the body, it will come with no efforts
Look at the connectors that you will have to pull off using the tool. Apple numbered the black ribbon cables 1, 2, and 3. The ribbon 3 being hidden under the cable that connect to 2. Just pull the cables in that order 2,1 and 3 off,
Connect the new screen by plugging in that order 3, 1 and 2. Verify proper operations before closing with the 2 Philips screw the case back.