I am still waiting for the TomTom Rider, as soon as I it can be ordered, I will post a better review and provide Here a HowTo and some files if needed. Click on Read more
Number of Street and safety camera in some countries
Zurich, CH has 83 street radars, and 100 additionnal are planned, the "best" radar is creating 4.5 Million CHF/monthly, each person in Zürich pay at least yearly 160 CHF !
France will install in 2005 install 1000 radars
Here is an overview of all radar which are known by www.radarfalle.de
What You can do...
Buy a GPS device, and install a POI software (Point of Interest) to be warned when You are in a proximity of a fix street radar.
Point-Of-Interest visually and acoustically warns you of POIs as you approach them. Speed cameras, petrol stations, restaurants are only some exaples for POIs.
What You can not do...
- Using a device, to detect actively street radars (Laser, or dopler), except in UK
- Using a device, perturb the operation of street radars (scrambler)
Market Offering for the hardware
All GPS devices below are supporting 3rd party sofware call POI (Point of Interest)
I personaly recommend TomTom but any GPS device is able to do the Job
|or Medion or Navigon or ....|
|Pocket PC||Since TomTom also ship it's software for pocket PC, You can also use Your favorite PDA|
Market Offering for the software
|<10euro yearly fees||Also available for TomTom|
Allow internet update for free if you
have a licence
|A tool for Your PC manages all of your poi|
french tutorial for TomTom
French tutorial on pocket PC
How to enter a new camera position
For an up to date database, the system is only working as long as You receive daily update of safety camera positions, Here is how to enter a new camera position with TomTom device.
|Sticky: 'Idiots guide to adding speed cameras'|
extract of the forum www.expansys.com
|Further guide to help those who want to maximise the use of Tom Tom Go who may not be computer whizzes. Object is to encourage as many as possible to become "accurate camera spotters" so that the camera database is as accurate as possible.|
If you only want to update your own machine follow 1 below. If you are happy to share your new locations with everyone else then follow 2 below.
In each of the following you need to enter the camera location, you can do this by address, browse map of by far the best most accurate is by "GPS location" when the TTGo is next to the camera location. For the reasons of accuracy that is the method I will cover here.
1. When next to the camera location on foot/in car, Tom Tom main screen, forward arrow, forward arrow, change prefs, forward arrow, maintain POI, Add POI, select pocketgps uk gatso, select GPS location, address is shown, suggest keep address as shown and add gatso after it, do this by touching screen at end of address to remove highlight you can then type additionalty as usual. Then select done.
As you have added to existing POI database this new entry will use settings for icon,distance and sound without additional adjustments.
If you are willing to share your new locations then follow 2 below.
2. Firstly you need to add a new POI catagory in which to store your new POI camara locations.
From TTGo main screen, Forward arrow, forward arrow, change prefs, forward arrow, maintain POI, Add POI catagory, type name of your POI eg "New Gatso" , Done, select marker (scroll down for lots of options)done.
When next to the camera location on foot/in car, Tom Tom main screen, forward arrow, forward arrow, change prefs, forward arrow, maintain POI, Add POI, select "New gatso", select GPS location, address is shown, suggest keep address as shown and add gatso after it, do this by touching screen at end of address to remove highlight you can then type additionalty as usual. Then select done.
You have now saved this camera location in a new file, therefore so that you can be warned of your new locations you need to set the POI warnings from the "Maintain POI " menu. (as you did originally)
- www.radarfalle.de is providing for <10euro/Year a subscription which allow YOu to download their plugins for all major GPS unit
- http://www.radarsfixes.com/ Les emplacements des radars fixes en France, classÃÂ©s pas dÃÂ©partements et par routes. TÃÂ©lÃÂ©charger la carte des radars et la liste des coordonnÃÂ©es GPS.