Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.
The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.
In a comprehensive update to PS3's already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.
Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3's credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.
A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3's hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.
PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.
Why choosing a PS3 as a media center HUB?
- It has the best blu-ray player till today,
- It is a game machine as added value
- You can stream data from any UPNP source (Mac, Linux, Windows, embeded network disk)
- I is upscaling DVD, game like no hardware scaler on the market
- You can boot linux
- It require no particular/proprietary peripherals (bluetooth)
AVS forums review concerning the quality of the blu-ray player
Excellent/Amazing 1080p upscaling of DVDs
- For those with 720p only sets it now does 720P downscaling for BD along with upscaling for DVD
- 1080p24 support (film is native 24 fps, no more 3:2 pulldown)
- Blacker-than-Black (BTB) and Whiter-than-White (WTW) support with (full range/limited) the BTB has been confirmed by DVE
- HQV DVD test and the PS3 1.80 firmware passes ALL tests!! Cadence, interlacing, artifacting, you name it, it passed!!!
Why not choosing the Xbox360?
- Crippled with Digital Right management DRM
- Noisy so noisy
- Streaming only from and to Microsoft centric world
- Proprietary peripherals
- Next >>