Downtime of server later this week - nearly done :-)i have written a powerpoint which has now nearly 70 pages...
I need one day or more to reinstall the server.
- Backup all databases
- Backup the filesystem
- Scan the backup for exploits ad spyware, crapware, rootkit
- Reinstall the server with Suse 10.0 and Plesk 8.2
- Increase security -> ssh only with PKI and protocol 2, permissions.d, appArmor, se linux
- Review Plesk packages -> no PHP4, mySQL4 for example
- Install required modules in Apache: mod_evasive, mod_security, mod_limitip, php5 runing with fastcgi and suexec
- Maybe install http://www.hardened-php.net/hardening_patch.14.htmlwhat_is_the_hardening-patch
- Domains and Subdomains will be newly created
- Restore evrything -> all password will be changed
- Alle administrator panel (Joomla, + plesk) will be with htaccess protected
- Crontab -> chkrootkit, exploit.sh, rkhunter,
So it will be a very intensive day...sorry for the downtime
From WikiPedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtime
Downtime refers to a period of time or a percentage of a timespan that a machine or system (usually a computer server) is offline or not functioning, usually as a result of either system failure (such as a crash) or routine maintenance. The opposite is uptime.
- Maintenance downtimes have to be carefully scheduled in industries that rely on nearly 24-hour service, such as e-commerce, medical informatics, news reporting, and persistent online games. In many cases, system-wide downtimes can be averted using rolling upgrades.
- Downtimes caused by system failures can have serious economic impact. To minimize these effects network monitoring can be used.
In Service Level Agreements, it is common to mention a percentage value (per month or per year) that is calculated by dividing the sum of all downtimes timespans by the total time of a reference time span (e.g. a month). 0% downtime means that the server was available all the time.
For Internet servers downtimes above 1% per year or worse can be regarded as unacceptable as this means a downtime of more than 3 days per year. For e-commerce and other industrial use any value above 0.1% is usually considered unacceptable.