Here is a list of all desktop FREE search tool I have found so far, I am personaly using Google, but regret that there is no Linux version of it...
- Copernic desktop search software, (applications)
- Google desktop search software, and limited with , a is also planned
- Microsoft desktop search software,
- Ask Jeeves desktop search software, (applications)
- Yahoo desktop search software, Yahoo! has partnered with X1 to deliver a world-class consumer desktop search product leveraging X1's award-winning technology. This product do not exist yet.
- HotBot desktop
Additionally, x-friend searches the internet, product catalogues, internet news (RSS-feeds), emails and other search services. I will do a Review soon under Suse 9.2
- Indexing of (Searching in) files, prictures, RSS-news-feeds, mails, etc.
- Support of: MS-Office-files, PDF, RTF, HTML, XML, TXT, CVS, etc.
- Usage of meta-information for digital-photos (EXIF-header) and MP3s (ID-Tag), etc.
The search system is powered by Lucene and runs as a background process. The user interface is browser-based and is provided by a J2EE web app written using Tapestry. You'll need a servlet container like Jetty to run it, plus the JDK obviously."
Another program based on apache Lucene: http://www.peerfear.org/rss/permalink/2004/10/28/LotsOfInterestInLuceneDesktop/
- ISYS:desktop product, Corporate usage, search over 125 file formats!
- http://www.dtsearch.com/ 199$ home user
- http://www.enfish.com/ since 1998. Corporate usage