I came across this article at IBM developerworks, which explain how to use the RDT: Ruby IDE for the Eclipse platform. I decide also to give You here an overview of all languages supported by eclipse:
JDT: The JDT project provides the tool plug-ins that implement a Java IDE supporting the development of any Java application, including Eclipse plug-ins. It adds a Java project nature and Java perspective to the Eclipse Workbench as well as a number of views, editors, wizards, builders, and code merging and refactoring tools. The JDT project allows Eclipse to be a development environment for itself.
RDT is an open source Ruby IDE for the Eclipse platform.
Features supported are syntax highlighting, on the fly syntax check, graphical outline, Test::Unit view/runner, Ruby application launching, content assist, source formatter, and a Ruby debugger.
PHP: PHPeclipse (open source CPL) PHP parser, debugger, code formatter, outline view, templates. Note also that ZEND has joined the eclipse board, so their flagship product ZEND Studio Pro may have a future as an eclipse plugin.
PERL: EPIC is an opensource Perl IDE for the Eclipse platform. Features supported are syntax highlighting, on the fly syntax check, content assist, perldoc support, source formatter, templating support and a Perl debugger. A regular expression plugin and support for the eSpell spellchecker are also available.
- Python: PyDev is a plugin that enables users to use Eclipse for Python and Jython development. It comes with many goodies such as code completion, syntax highlighting, syntax analysis, refactor, debug and many others.
- Eiffel: The Eclipe Eiffel Development Tools (EDT) are a set of plugins which eventually implement a full-fledged, highly integrated Eiffel development environment based on the Eclipse Platform
- Groovy: The plugin provides a Groovy editor for editing scripts or classes in Groovy (Groovy is an object-oriented programming language designed for the Java platform as an alternative to Java with features from Python, Ruby and Smalltalk. see WikiPedia) language. Groovy makes writing scripts and applications for the Java Virtual Machine fast and easy.
- Microsoft C#: Improve C# code editing with: Creation of new C# files (with a basic structure) - Syntax highlighting - Content assistant for C# keywords - Auto-indentation - C# code compilation etc Unfortunately no more active development since June 2004
- www.eclipseplugincentral.com Eclipse Plugin Central (EPIC) offers the Eclipse community and users of IBM WebSphere Studio application development environments (WSAD, WSSD, WSED, etc.) a convenient, information-rich portal that helps software developers find open source and commercial Eclipse plug-ins, tools, and products that enhance the entire Java software development life-cycle.