I've installed SuSE 9.3 on a Notebook HP Nx7000 and a AMD desktop without any major difficulties except the fact that for some legal reasons, Novel has removed the ability of SuSe to play out the box any Divx, Xvid, mp3. In fact If You have a acess to internet, the online update tool may resolve some of these issues (You will have to download what Novel call "Multimedia pack" ). After using 2 years long SuSE 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and now 9.3 I found pathetic that I still need to remove this crappy noatun, kaffeine and xine because they simply do not work as good as Mplayer or even better Videolan (VLC). Note that both Videolan, or VLC can not be install through YaST, and I think that it is really a big mistake.
So let repair this by:
- Installing APT-GET packaging system (a lot simpler than YaST as It deal with package conflicts!!!), First read this page, then If You are interested read on :-)
- Decode encrypted DVD under Suse 9.3
- Install Videolan (VLC), the best multiplattform video player
Before deciding to buy it, download it (FTP source are here), or starting Your favorite Bittorent client, You can
- Have a look at OâReillyâs OSDir screenshots Suse 9.3 (94 sreenshots)
- Read some reviews:
- Mad Penguin, one of the most complete review
- Linux magazine has a online PDF: Suse 9.3 Professional - the latest Suse comes with new software, lots of improved Yast modules, and some other significant change [PDF, 287 kB]
- QuebecOS (French) â¢ Tux Journal (Italian) â¢ eWEEK â¢ Pro-Linux (German) â¢ The Inquirer â¢ Cool Solutions â¢ USA LUG â¢ linux-noob â¢ Geektime Linux â¢ James' Blog â¢ Cool Solutions
Installing APT-GET packaging system (a lot simpler than YaST as It deal with package conflicts!!!), First read this page, then If You are interested read on :-)
- create a directory ex: /home/elta68/install/aptget
- Download all Apt-get rpm for Suse ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/9.3-i386/RPMS.suser-rbos, but 2 library are missing in this directory, so grab them here: perl-XML-LibXML.rpm and perl-XML-LibXML-common.rpm
- As root, (the best way is to open a terminal, type 'su'), go to that directory cd /home/elta68/install/aptget and type rpm -ivh *.rpm or use YaST to install all rpm (13) one after the other...
- Create a link (named Synaptic for example) on the desktop (right click, create New link to application), in the tab application, under Command, type sux -c /usr/sbin/synaptic or open a terminal and type: sux -c /usr/sbin/synaptic
- Instead of using YaST, You can now use Synaptic (a graphical frontend for apt-get) to install, keep up to date or remove package s or If You prefer command line, type apt-get install packagename example: apt-get install MPlayer
Decode encrypted DVD under Suse 9.3
- You need to install libdvdcss for reading encrypted DVD, I found on that page, a nice HowTo with a lot of screenshots http://www.saunalahti.fi/~pirisisi/tips/Linux/dvdplay/
- VideoLAN is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
- Install using YaST the following libraries:
- first libdvdcss (see Decode encrypted DVD under Suse 9.3),
- then using YaST: search for libxosd,
- then using YaST: search for db1
- You Can install VLC by using:
- Apt-get: start synaptic (sux -c /usr/sbin/synaptic) then search for VLC (CTRL-F type VLC enter), right click on the package, and click on button apply
- Downloading manually all required rpm at Packman in a directory, the use Yast to install each RPM (clik on each one in konqueror) or using the terminal: rpm -i *.rpm
the open source player for all video format
Access to my external USB disk are slow ...
This is because of the way SuSe mount dynamically Reiserf. Your disk is continually trying to synchronize with the journal. You can recover the performance loss by mounting the disk manually instead of letting Dbus do it for You. It is just anoying...
a desktop search tool...
Simply refuse to work out the box. It is even not installed as default when You install Your system!!! Adding it with Yast do not mean that it will work either... I have install another (not open source) alternative :
x-friend's (0.2.1 beta) search functionality includes full text search (using apache Lucene) and meta data search. Search results will be displayed within seconds and can be categorized by file type, date, size etc. Additionally, x-friend searches the internet, product catalogues, internet news (RSS-feeds), emails and other search services
comments powered by Disqus