comments powered by Disqus
me flying in realflight g2 (need addon3 for having raptor 30 & 60 look)
I bought RealflightÂ®Â© deluxe refursbished for 100â¬ in 2001 with the plastic controller box then the update G2 for another 100â¬.....expensive at first sight but it save me so much money (at least 100 times more).
- Nice looking, maybe the best graphics on the market today.(see raptor 30 with addon3)
- Possibility to simulate flight failures,
- Network gaming (if you have a permanent internet access)
- A lot of new color schemes can be found freeely on internet (see below in links), but it is only a skins for existing heli or airplanes.
- You can build airport but you have a limited number of items.
- You can record your flights and demo, distribute them,
- There is a virtual instructor to learn new tricks,
- Games in games : events like autorotation, precision landing.
- Helicopter simulation is no realistic at all ! but I slowly discover why it is so bad (you do not notice it till you do not display the frame rate): go to section : Increase realism
- No graphical editor for airplanes and heli : KnifeEdge (the editor) want to sell add ons at very high prices.
- Overall bad realism....why ? if you want to recognize a good simulator, mesure data on your model and put it into the simulator, if the feeling is different then something is wrong in the physical model.
- Crazy protecting system! you must always have the realflight cd inserted! and sometimes realflight is asking you all others CD : RFdeluxe, then Cd update the addon2 then addon3 etc : it is slow, disturbing and can be easily outpass with daemon tools (note that version 2.00.570 seem not to accept any virtual cd, hee knife edge that is not in the software relase note !). Why do they not use a dongle instead ?
- The wind affects are not properly modeled, the wind in the sim is linear from the ground up in the real word the height causes a much greater affect. additionally the turbulence is (for want of a better word) "swirling" and has both vertical as well as horizontal components. The settling with power is totally absent from the sim, as a result it is not very useful.
- Flight Model is TOO EASY, and still too SLOW. A way too much inertia.
1- open the physic engine, so we can tune equations
or use better equations if cpu power is enough (what do you do with 2800MHz????)
2- better simulation of heli inertia...
3- better simulation of wind or at least with more tuning options
3- Vortex ring problem
4- heli editor or at least release some converter or open the internal specs of file, Some of us can write an editor.
5- a draganflyer!!!!
6- sell a heli version/ a airplane version / a full version
7- more heli lessons (instructor)
overall inmprove the physic engine, in reality things get worse really faster than in simulator.
When will Knife Edge open their physic engine (equations), so we can tune or rewrite them ??
When will Knife Edge release their format specs so people can build planes editor ?
I would like to say : NEVER since they release quite expensive addons (which bring nothing)
- There is no other simulator which is so nice, even if the physic is so bad.
- Change characteristics in order to match the natural instability of heli:
- edit the aircraft and reduce weight of paddle : raptor 30 has 35gr, reduce it to 10gr not less otherwise rolls won&39;t work anymore.
- Of course do not fly without wind.
- improve response of heli:
- edit the aircraft and reduce speed of servos : default is 0.22 sec/60Â°, reduce it to 0.02sec/60Â°
- reduce exponential on all command.
- Improve physics :
- desactivate the grass in the airport : it is consuming alone nearly 30 fps on my PC1
- As a rule : desactivate every graphics till you did not reach at least 60 fps (or more) in all flight configuration (when you are in front of trees, houses etc, if the framerate drop, the heli is out of control).
The heli is difficult to maintain ? to fly ? and you crash in less than 3 second ? welcome back to some reality !!!!!!
As a result on my pc nearly every visual enhancement are switch off, but that is the cost for having a little more reality. (just to say I bought CSM 10.1 on ebay.....)
Which PC for Realflight ?
My PC PC of my Brother PC1
VIA KT133, duron 800 Mhz, Hercules GeForce 2 GTS 64Mo, 512 Mo SDRAM 133MHz, IBM 60 Go 7200 tr/min UDMA66, all test at 1280x1024 32bits
(I want to test RealflightÂ®Â© G2 on a better configuration before updating mine, I do not think that a geforce 4 will help, maybe a better cpu....definitively a free update from knife edge to improve physics)
I&39;ve tested Realflight on my PC (see above) and on the following :
Athlon Xp 1600, Leadtek geforce TD 2500 (geforce4 4400 overclocking @ 4600), 512 Mo DDR 266Mhz, IBM 80 Go 7200 tr/min UDMA100, all test at 1280x1024 32bits
NVIDIA Nforce2, duron 800 Mhz, Hercules GeForce 2 GTS 64Mo, 512 Mo DDR 2700, IBM60Go + IBM80Go + MAXTOR120Go 7200 tr/min UDMA133, all test at 1280x1024 32bits
I&39;ve tested Realflight on my PC (see above) and on the following :
Athlon Xp 2800, Leadtek geforce TD 2500 (geforce4 4400 overclocking @ 4600), 1024 Mo DDR 266Mhz, IBM 80 Go 7200 tr/min UDMA100, all test at 1280x1024 32bits
What I have noted on PC2:
- If you desactivate nearly everything, the FPS (frame per second) counter seem to reach limit value which is near 90 fps.
- Grass is consuming alone > 20 fps !
- People and in fact increasing number of object to the max let you go between 40 and 45 fps (was below 20 fps on PC1), which should be enough, but the problem is the frontier between 80 fps and 45 fps, some glitches are encountered and when flying you feel the changes.
My Conclusion :
If you want to make a demo, activate every items otherwise deactivate as much items as possible ! in fact nobody is flying beside trees or walls in real life... if you do so maybe your flying field is not well choosen. It make no sense to go for a new PC, It seems to me that bad performances, or non linear increase in fps is due to bad programming or overflow in current PC architecture. Remember that a geforce 2 is 4 times less expensive than a geforce 4
- Michael Prewitt and his excellent website www.raptortechnique.com (a must in english) is providing heli script and color scheme for the raptor 30. note that addon3 contain the most realistic view of a raptor 30 and 60 look (see the pic on the top of this page). Of course they fly bad... :-(
- Search with google for the "G2 exchange page", a lot of airport, color scheme, planes and heli for free.
First you must buy the rc2p from Andreas Pieper (through www.ebay.de ), it allow you to connect any TX to the gameport, In Realflight, choose "controller calibration", then personal and edit. Assign fonctions as following :
Channel Name Paddle Direction Invert 1 Aileron 1 right-left No 2 Profondeur 1 up-down No 3 Gazs 2 right-left YES 4 Rudder 2 up-down YES switch 3 Iddle Up inter1 YES
Other keys can be emulated with the keyboard....
Some remarqs :
- The controller is entirely in the plug (CMS component) and the quality is professional.
- Only regret, it can only controls 4 channels + 1 switch.
- GREAT to use your real TX, feeling is a lot better ! (weight of TX, tension of sticks, position of fingers etc...)
- It is a lot cheaper than the interface provided by RealflightÂ®Â© (>230â¬ in France).
Raptor 60 tweaking : credit to Twobeers (RunRyder)
- Reset the all the gyro settings to original values to start with.
- Go to the Jet Ranger and write down all the tail figures and change the tail figures of the Raptor 60 so that they are the same as the Jet Rangers.
- If you want a faster piro rate double or triple the gyro&39;s piro rate under the gyro tab of the edit aircraft model.
- Set the gyro to always on under the edit radio page.
- Lower the paddle weights by 5grams.
- Make the servo&39;s a little faster.
Raptor 30 tweaking : credit to Mad Scientist (RunRyder)
Download te following file and save it in your "planes" directory
- Want to pratice autorotation ? instead of using the switch (throttle cut) use a very small tank (30cc) and fly....till you run out of fuel.
- Be careful to learn on both sides ! like me you may prefer to turn always from the same side : that&39;s bad ! and when you go back to field you are petrified....
- With the latest cd burner (philips, acer some plextor), it is possible to outpass the safedisk 2 protection of G2 (burner must support EFM (hardware) or be recognized by clone cd in order to use the AWS fonction (Amplify weak sector)). I prefer to made an image of the cd, then use daemon tool and daemon ui. NO NEED TO INSERT THE CD anymore, RealflightÂ®Â© g2 start in 5 seconds, ahhhh marvelous...
Knife Edge Realflight G2
Do not buy or use this simulator, prefer Reflex XTR (www.reflex-sim.de) Pros very accurate, you can measure data on your heli and put them into your simulator with no changes...runs on ladtop, and small machine, no need to have an expensive video card, CSM add support for Windows 2000, winXP...very very accurate...but very very bad lookingvery precise interface connected to lpt1, support to 12 channels....True heading lock gyro ICG360Update are free, you can really build new airplanes and new heli …
5381 Days ago
nullSince a lot of people are reading this page, I update it with my experience and the latest state of the art. Solutions to get a RealflightÂ©Â® G2 working copy are: Go and search on eDonkey network, with eDonkey client or better with eMule (both are peer to peer client program). All you have to do is to download the image (500Mo in rar files) and wait the download completion...Make a bakup copy of your original CD. Backup your original …
5381 Days ago
nullhttp://www.rc-sim.de/ Homepage about simulator Â http://reflex.cmedv.de Flight simulators Reflex http://www.reflex-sim.de Ipacs Aerofly Pro http://www.aerofly.de Knife Edge Realflight G2 http://www.realflight.com Tru-Flite 3D http://www.tru-flite.co.uk/sitr.htm Cockpit master http://www.cockpitmaster.com CSM V10 http://www.rcmodels.org/csm PRE-Flight http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/atv/preflight001.htm Free simulators FMS http://simulator.home.pages.de RCSimSikorsky http://home.zonnet.nl/blacksphere2/rcsim.html Utility of a simulator : Save your money : you can do virtual crash.But not too many, otherwise your learning curve will be flat.Fly when it is raining outside !Fly when it is snowing outside !Improve your manoeuvre, learn new tricks.Fly for free before …
5381 Days ago