Select Page

Import Your motorcycle in Switzerland.

Import Your motorcycle in Switzerland.

Since I am living in Switzerland, I took the time to start all administrative hassles to use my French motorcycle in Zürich.

How to convert your driving permit…

This is probably the most easier part, You’ll have to

  • Fill a paper and do a vision test (cost me 10 CHF)
  • Provide an identity picture.
  • Provide the old original license, which will be sent back to your country origin.
  • Go to the Strassenverkehrsamt and pay 
    • 54 CHF for the conversion of the old driving license to the new Swiss driving license.
    • 40 CHF for the new Swiss driving license
    • 15 CHF verification of your identity
  • Total costs: 119 CHF

The new permit arrive with post in less than 3 days.

 How to import Your vehicle…

This one is more tricky, as it may take more time. If You prepare everything, it MAY be done in a few weeks…or days if you are lucky.

  • If the vehicle was coming as goods at the border, you should have 2 papers, the list of things you bring with You in Switzerland and a paper of the border.
  • You’ll have to find an insurance company first for Your vehicle, give all information You currently have to the insurance and ask for a insurance certificate (versicherungsnachweis), this is a paper which prove that You have an insurance, validity 30 days (can be a fax, it is enough).
  • Go to the road traffic licensing department (Strassenverkehrsamt), and provide all papers, they will give you a appointment for the control of the vehicle characteristics…I first receive a meeting in 2 months! anyway the administration may send You a post letter if they have something closer to offer. That was the case for me, 1 week after, they offered me the Wednesday 3 May 2006 at 9:15.
  • The day of the control (cost 120 CHF), the motorcycle has to be clean and the motor warm. It will take 40 minutes. Bring all papers with you including the motorcycle manual It i more an administrative task for the controller. Looking at weight, noise, gazes and filling a lot of papers. I watch him doing 80% of the control at the desk! If a paper is missing or something goes wrong, You may be able to come back any day between 11:20 and 11:40 to bring the missing paper with. (cost 40 CHF more)
  • The control  will be closed after the controller 3 minutes ride test.
  • You’ll to pay
    • Transport cession 58.20 CHF
    • Vehicle identification card: 40 CHF
    • Encashment costs: 30 CHF
    • Vehicle identification plate: 25 CHF
    • Entry obligations: 15 CHF
  • Total costs: 328.20 CHF

Back to the administration, You will receive your motorcycle plate number (25 CHF), the old  vehicle identity card and it’s plate number will be send to the country you come from.


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments


Would love your thoughts, please comment.x