PS3 Factory/Service mode
Since the 2.5 update the PS3 has a Recovery menu with the following options:
- Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
- Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
- Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
- Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
- Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
- System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
How to get access to service mode
- Make sure the PS3 is turned off,
- Press and hold the power button on the PS3 it will power on then power off.
- When it’s off press and hold the power button again until you hear two consecutive beeps.
- It will ask for the controller to be connected via the USB cable,
- Turn on the controller and you will have access to the menu.