Why I won’t buy an Apple iPad yet
Just coming back from the Zurich Bahnhofstrasse Apple store where I did play 35 minutes with an IPAD, the shop were not crowed nor full of potential customer as I was also downstair checking accessories.
I was interested by the 64Gb, Wifi + 3G iPad
- I don’t like the current operating system: the “desktop” look really empty: it has way too much space between icons,
- I did not see any special killer application made for the iPad, a lot are currently just scaled up. The gallery, the shop are nothing special at all.
- The size make it a device I wont have in my pocket, making my iPhone 3GS still relevant in most cases,
- 700 grams is heavy, try 25 minutes lifting it!
- I miss a camera (front AND back camera with Flashlight please),
- The GPS is only available on the 3G version, not on all 3 WIFI models,
- Ridiculous 3G Data plan at 19CHF for 300MB and 39CHF for 2GB,
To confirm my first impressions, I went through Google to check what others are saying
- Why You Shouldn’t Buy an iPad (Yet) “If you’ve already got a smartphone and a laptop, the gap in your workflow that the iPad might fill isn’t obvious” + “Next year’s iPad will be faster, cheaper, less buggy, and have better apps and worthy competitors.”
- 12 reasons why I won’t buy an Apple iPad
- Boing Boing: Why I won’t buy an iPad (and think you shouldn’t, either)
- Gizmodo: 8 Things That Suck About the iPad
- Daily Finance: Apple Tablet: 10 Things We (Already) Hate About You
If you have bought one, you may be interested in
- For Fun: Installing iPad Wi-Fi Battery Replacement
- My favorite sport: Jailbreaking! you can use Spirit now
Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the latest firmwares
Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2.