Cédric Walter | Oct 8, 2020 | 0
AutoMySQLBackup, do not save backup on your server…
One of the most important rule is to always backup your data with multiple tools on different medium, just in case of.
Just imagine 5 minutes that you lose everything, what you have done in the last 3 months on your homepage..ok still not crying? you loose hundred of hours of work, nightly debugging, customizations, hours of Gimp/Photoshop, lengthy and good written articles…
With #Joomla! and now with nearly all CMS, the most important thing to backup is the database. I recommend a daily backup at least!
And now my solution: AutoMySQLBackup
A script to take daily, weekly and monthly backups of your MySQL databases using mysqldump.
- Backup mutiple databases
- Single backup file or to a seperate file for each DB
- Compress backup files
- Backup remote servers
- E-mail logs
- Backup mutiple MySQL databases with one script. (Now able to backup ALL databases on a server easily. no longer need to specify each database seperately)
- Backup all databases to a single backup file or to a seperate directory and file for each database.
- Automatically compress the backup files to save disk space using either gzip or bzip2 compression.
- Can backup remote MySQL servers to a central server.
- Runs automatically using cron or can be run manually.
- Can e-mail the backup log to any specified e-mail address instead of "root". (Great for hosted websites and databases).
- Can email the compressed database backup files to the specified email address.
- Can specify maximun size backup to email.
- Can be set to run PRE and POST backup commands.
- Choose which day of the week to run weekly backups.
Just download the file, save it somewhere, and configure automysqlbackup with your editor of choice (25 first line of file). To test if everything work, just run the file.
automysqlbackup require Mutt
# yast2 -i mutt
Mutt (http://www.mutt.org) is a small but very powerful text-based mail client for Unix operating systems. It is used by the script automysqlbackup (sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/) to cut mail in part (automysqlbackup do ot use mail in that case)
automysqlbackup send daily email with database content, so data are not on host in case of crash or on ftp. You may create 2 emails account and forward the result of the backup to 2 different free email hoster (Gmail and Hotmail for example)