Published on Wednesday, 08 July 2009 00:00
Written by Administrator
There are “Still” plenty of reasons to jailbreak that aren't directly related to iPhone-specific hardware.
- Cydia, an APT frontend for your iPhone, get all applications, most are open source or refused by Apple!
By the way, Cydia was offering cut&paste, video editing, back grounding, MMS and more years before Apple gives us the OS 3.0. What’s coming in OS 4.0? skins and themes :-)
- Winterboard, apply themes and skins to get more funny spring board, for example with the little big planet skins, they are really hundreds of them!
- Live Clock and Weather icons,
- SBSettings, a customizable HUD with handy settings switches accessed by swiping across the status bar in any app or in the home screen, numerical status displays,
- Customizable system fonts,
- Multitasking support, dead simple: press Home 2 second to put app in background, 2 second more to disabled background, I did not see any huge power drain differences by running 2 instant messaging apps: Skype and Nimbuzz 2 hours without interruption. The only real issue that must be confirmed is that the iPhone get really hot in the back. I would suspect that Apple is aware of this problem and did not switch back grounding application for this reason.
- Full access to the file system, normal users don’t need that, but developers find it fun!
- Terminal, SSH (openSSH yes), VNC and VIM, I can now remotely connect to my host with my RSA keys but more on that later..
How to Jailbreak your iPhone/iPod 3GS
I MAKE NO SUPPORT, USE AT YOU OWN RISK
I just want to share here how simple and how easy it was for ME, it doesnt mean it will work for YOU. Search in Google for a solution in case of disaster (iPhone wont boot up), it seems a backup/restore may save you time and eager.
Run the exe while having your iPhone connected through USB, click on the button “make it ra1n”
The iPhone will reboot and a new icon “Freeze” will appear. Click on it to install Cydia [WikiPedia]. The operation take less than 1 minute
- You can also afterward install cracked Applications by Drag & Drop into iTunes or by double clicking them and Sync with your iPhone/iPod Touch !!!
- I recommend you to install “Pandora Box”, a free app that run on any non jail broken iPhone and let you review every day or week all paid applications that get a price drop (paid to free, paid drop in prices ). There is enough (crap) to download for free before paying of even hacking the iPhone.